Thursday, June 15, 2017

Decorative Shelves & Shutters

Shutters add a rustic, homey touch to an area, and the kitchen is a great place to start that warm feeling when you are at home. They are a wonderful focal point that draws the eye to an area. Last week I shared my Kitchen Shelves project with you, if you missed that post it can be seen here. As promised this is an update to share the shutters that were added to finish the project. 




Remember where it all started? The mirror? The little frames? The "What was I thinking"? Yeah, not one of my best attempts of beautifying the house. But hey! We can bounce back and change aspects of our surroundings to make it really pretty.





Removing the mirror and adding shelves did a lot to improve this spot on the wall, but it still seemed lacking. Something was missing and in my mind I knew what I wanted. It must have been in my mind from the beginning. Why else would I have gone for shorter shelves instead of extending them the length of the buffet? (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)




A funny thing happened while making the shutters, my brain took a vacation. It was the most difficult task to think of making a diagonal piece for the shutters. The idea was scrapped and the shutters were left with the two cross pieces for a couple of weeks.




In case you're wondering, this was a very inexpensive project. The shutters were made from furring strips purchased at Home Depot. I used 1" x 3" x 8' furring strips at a cost of less than $2 for an 8 ft piece. The cross pieces were made from 1" x 2" x 8' furring strips, which costs about $1. Both shutters were made for less than $10.




Adding the shutters has made a big difference to this area. I love the way it turned out. The picture below was taken shortly after the project was completed. (Don't you love the dried Hydrangea bloom on the left?)




After a few weeks, I couldn't take it.......I wanted the diagonal cross pieces. Sometime before Autumn, the diagonal pieces were added. It's a lot easier to add them while doing the project initially, trying to match colors afterwards.....not so easy. However, it was well worth the extra time. That nagging feeling that it wasn't "complete" was gone.




Here are the shelves during Spring of this year. It's so cute I just want to lick the whole picture. Ok, maybe not lick the picture, that would be gross. But I do love the way it turned out.




It's nice to be able to change things up during the year, for any season or occasion. The bottom shelf can be cleared, placing cups, creamers, sugars, teas, etc., when the buffet is used as a drink station. Or napkins, plates, and assorted items added if it's used as a snack bar. There are so many possibilities.




Glad to have gone with the diagonal cross pieces also. It gives the shutters a little more character. The wood grain really shows through with the stain. And of course......they don't have to be perfect. Imperfectly perfect.....that's the way I like things.




Last week, with summer coming and Easter having left us, I wanted to decorate this area so that it could stay (possibly) until Autumn. Summer is a very busy time for us and I don't normally decorate twice during the summer. Honestly, it's rare that anything gets moved around in the Summer. This is where I started, a fresh, clean look. The stacked dessert dishes that I found at an antique store up north last year have been begging to sit out on the shelves.




Then......I changed my mind. Better now? I think so. The dessert dishes aren't front and center, but they are still there, peeking out by the plant.




I am so happy with how this whole project turned out and also the decorating for summer. It's just sweet and charming. All of it.




Who knew that a few furring strips and some wood stain could produce such a darling addition to the kitchen. My husband thought I was crazy, he just couldn't picture it. Now that it's finished, he loves it. He is my official "hanger of stuff". I don't mind hanging items on the the wall, but it is easier to measure and mark where I want items, and walk away. When I return, it's done. Sometimes I still hang items myself, it's nice to keep that skill honed.




The complete "after" shot. What do you think? Is it a keeper? Absolutely! The combination of the shelves and shutters has really brightened this spot in my kitchen. It seems refreshing and alive, always changing. The mirror and frames were boring and ugly blah. Much needed character, impact, and beauty is always welcome.




Easy, fun, and inexpensive. You should make a set for your home, you'll love them. I'd like another set in living room. However, I have a nice set of saloon doors from the basement that I'm thinking of using. That's a discussion for a different day.




At the end of it all, this entire project costs just under $25. The shelves and shutters together. You can't beat that with a wet noodle. It was worth every penny, adding such character, charm, warmth, and beauty for such a small price, while not taking that much time.




Time to be creative! Time to make something new! Time to breathe some freshness into our homes. Start with something easy and quick, just to get the creative juices flowing. Don't stop there, keep being creative. It's a wonderful outlet.

Thank you for stopping by for a visit. I hope you have enjoyed the shelves and shutters.

Leave a comment, let me know what you think of the way the project turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment