Friday, May 8, 2015

Loaded Cauliflower Bake



I love a good dish. An easy dish. A dish that the whole family will eat, and has vegetables in it. Now this one is almost healthy. Okay, not really when you consider the cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise, but it is delicious.
When I try a new recipe, I try to stick to it precisely, then on another attempt, maybe change it up some. This one can easily be made into a healthier version. However, on my first attempt, I made the "loaded" version. This recipe was given to me by a friend after she brought this to a potluck that we attended. It's awesome!!! The full recipe is at the bottom of this post.




Cut up a head of cauliflower into bite size pieces, boil, drain, and set aside to cool. Who would have thought that such an unassuming vegetable could turn into something so delicious. It almost mimics potatoes, just a lot less carbs.





Cooked and crumbled bacon gives any dish a drool factor. My family loves bacon. They smell it, they come to eat it. It has the same effect as popcorn on the olfactory sense.




Add chives, or in my case, I used green onions because that's what was in the refrigerator, and the chives in my herb pot outside have not begun to grow enough yet. Nice fresh mushrooms. 





Shredded cheese added to the mix, with a little sour cream and mayonnaise, and baked until hot and bubbly. Yummmmmmyyyyy! This was oh so good. A 9 x 13 inch dish was gone in quickly. I served it with baked fish, and nothing else. It was enough to act as a carb and vegetable. Very tasty.




Here is the complete recipe. It is really simple and delicious. I think even little kids would eat this and not know that it's cauliflower. TM thought it was potatoes when we had it at the potluck.

Ingredients

1 large head of Cauliflower cut into bite size pieces (approx 6 cups)
6-8 strips of bacon cooked and crumbled (Cooked in oven at 400° for 20 mins)
6 Tbs chopped Chives
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Sour Cream
2 cups Colby Jack Cheese ( may use cheddar)
8 oz container sliced mushrooms


Preparation

Preheat oven to 425°
In a large pot boil water and cook Cauliflower for 8 - 10 minutes, drain and let cool.
In a large bowl combine sour cream, mayo, 1/2 of crumbled bacon, 3tbs chives, 1 cup of cheese, mushrooms and cauliflower and mix well... place in baking dish and cover with remaining 1 cup of cheese and rest of bacon crumbles. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted. top with remaining 3 Tbs chives and serve.


Give it a try and come back and tell me what you think.

Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment